Aug 28, 2010 08:22PM ● Published by Erin Frisch
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup diced green pepper
- 2/3 cup carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1-1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 48 oz fresh tomatoes, roughly chopped, with juice
- 1/2 cup TVP* (textured vegetable protein)
- 1 can (26 oz) kidney beans (adjust quantity up or down to your preference)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2. Add all dry seasonings, tomatoes, TVP, and beans and stir. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and simmer chili for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to blend all the flavors.
4. Add water to adjust consistency if the chili gets too thick. (If it is too thin, let it simmer a little longer.)
5. Adjust salt, pepper, and seasonings before serving.
* Textured vegetable protein is available at most health food stores.
Can be made a day in advance and refrigerated to develop flavors.